Saturday, May 10, 2014

Reflections of a CSL Coordinator - Collegiate StarLeague November 18, 2013


A little slice of life of a team coordinator as seen through the eyes of one of our own writers.

By David Wise



My first season with the Brigham Young University Collegiate StarLeague StarCraft II squad was quite interesting. About a month or so into the season, our coordinator, Adam, stepped down from the position as his schedule prevented him from properly carrying out his duties to the team. He asked if anyone wanted to volunteer for the position. I said yes. My first season in the CSL and I found myself, an undergraduate student will little experience managing people and even less experience in eSports, handling the duties of a CSL coordinator.        

Rough Starts, Reactive Planning


The first few days passed without difficulty. I asked for people on the team Facebook group to commit to play on Saturday as well as to give me their StarCraft II IDs and add codes so I could send CSL the roster for Saturday. To those who committed to play, I asked that they show up at least thirty minutes early for registration purposes. That Saturday, a day that expanded my perspective on the duties of a CSL coordinator,  required strenuous multitasking. Even with two monitors, I found keeping everything in line difficult as I was communicating with my team in the StarCraft client, team stragglers on Facebook, CSL admins on RaidCall, looking up and adding players from the schools we were competing against from a huge Google doc and e-mailing Alan, the match admin, our roster versus each school (CSL requires coordinators to submit a roster before each series, not just for the day). On top of this, one of our team members listed his Battle.net ID instead of his StarCraft II ID which led to confusion trying to set up his match until we finally resolved the problem.

Those weren’t the only difficulties that Saturday.  Our third round opponent, the University of Maryland College Park, had run over into the time slot allotted into the third round. UMCP ran thirty minutes behind schedule while two of our team members needed to leave for work shortly. I found myself needing to be the “bad guy” for the team, informing CSL admins of our opponents’ tardiness and my teammates’ work schedule. I calmly but relentlessly kept contact with both the opposing team’s coordinator as well as the CSL admins, hoping to get our matches on the way or at the very least attempt to score the forfeit win if they couldn’t start before our team members needed to leave for work (about an hour after the start time for round 3). Fortunately, Alan, the match admin, managed to start our matches on time and we avoided the ugliness of forcing a forfeit. For me, this was pretty difficult as I abhor confrontation and drama. However, a coordinator’s responsibility sometimes requires speaking up in a calm, professional manner in order to stand up for the team.          

The frantic pace of gameday is hardly the only challenge CSL coordinators face.  Luis Conceicao, a graduate student in the University of Ottawa’s Master’s of Criminology program, described roadblocks with scheduling, “Some of us work and for those that do it’s often hard to guarantee availability for match times. Often, the matches can be rescheduled but this isn’t always the case and is not always easy either. In these scenarios we try to find alternatives but if that’s not possible we are stuck forfeiting our match.” Recruitment also proved difficult for the Ottawa team, “This year in particular though, I’ve had a hard time getting players. The player base seems to be less active and we don’t have any high level players. So this is leading into considerations between divisions one and two amongst our team. While we don’t particularly want to get stomped in division one, we don’t want to stomp in division two either.”

 
"...The CSL program can both be an outlet for college students to have fun or train up their level of play." (UMN Twin Cities/Glitch Gaming)

Sam Viesselman, a staff member for Glitch Gaming and a University of Minnesota Twin Cities student studying Biomedical Engineering, shed light on his struggles with team management, “This is my first year as a coordinator and there are more difficulties running a CSL team than I anticipated. The first is recruiting both new players and keeping players from previous years. Another tough thing is structuring a team. At the end of the day, we're all doing CSL because we enjoy it, so forcing players to play practice games and showing up to weekly practice can quickly suck the fun out of program. Overall, it's been a learning experience trying to manage people on all the same team with different goals, levels of dedication, and aspirations.”

The Right Stuff


So what exactly constitutes a “good” CSL coordinator? According to Viesselman, communication is key, “In my opinion, a good coordinator will be very communicative with their team and listen to his player's suggestions. As I previously mentioned the CSL program can both be an outlet for college students to have fun or train up their level of play. It's important to structure your team in a way that makes sense with the player's desires or you can cause a loss of interest in your team quickly.” Conceicao’s response echoed Viesselman’s sentiments, “In the end, I think motivating your players is most important. I want to get them to practice together, and work on new builds and game plans but due to time constraints, school, work, life, etc. It’s not always easy. As a team we try to ensure players are playing their preferred matchups if at all possible and get good maps for the races/builds as well.”

When I reflect on my own performance as a CSL coordinator, I feel the weight of failure regarding recruitment. I, too, have seen the number of players willing to compete decrease, whether due to an intense work/school schedule or graduation. I hope to remedy this issue this season as BYU’s two best players from the previous season have graduated. While this will not be easy, I am confident that I will accomplish it given the right amount of time and work.

We lost our third round series versus UMCP that day 3-1 but it was a pretty good run considering we only had one Masters player (Adam, our previous coordinator) on the roster that day and we had advanced one round further than our rival school, the University of Utah (to be fair, they have a better StarCraft team). We reveled somewhat as we chatted in our team’s Facebook group. At that moment, despite the struggles and responsibilities of my position, I found great joy and pride in the small victory we had achieved as a team.


To me, that is the greatest feeling afforded to the position: the team camaraderie, and the knowledge that I had in whatever miniscule degree, helped make that happen.  



David Wise (@wiselingsc2) is a writer for the CollegiateStarleague and a content contributor to the Blizzard WCS Portal.

David is also a proud member as well as captain for team QTLing.

No comments:

Post a Comment